the 1980s were a decent decade. computers as we know them, microsoft, atari, and star wars came to be. cabbage patch kids and tmnt were born. hell, i was born. and so was this card table set.
pinterest told me i can quickly and easily paint and recover a folding chair! well.. let me tell you. exaggeration. first i had to choose fabrics. fabric.com has 194 flavors of oil cloth suitable for home decor. eff. i finally settled on the oh-so-retro cherry print oil cloth for the table and thought.. no one wants their ass sticking to oil cloth in the humid clutches of summer... but the polka dots are so friggin cute! and then i reconsidered and went with sensible coordinating teal and white. sigh. i ordered a yard of each just to be safe, and then set about trying to dismantle the chairs.
6 pack of spray paint, and some sheet metal screws. after some debating, the hardware guy suggested i buy #12 1/2"... but i later found they were too big. useless fact: if you have the same card table, #10 3/8" screws are perfecto. then i dragged the chair and table frames into my garage [it was a windy day] and nearly asphyxiated myself with spray paint.
but finally, the staple gun fun part!
light duty. shorter staples. then you dont sit on a chair and stab a staple through your ass. soooo i ordered a new staple gun, removed about 600 old staples, and tried not to inhale any weird old vinyl bits.
finally after weeks [my fabric.com order was placed on april 20 and i posted chair pics on the fb may 6] i had all my shit together. i dont have any pics of this process as it requires both hands and.. really it would have been convenient to grow a third arm just for this step. vinyl stretches ever so slightly, and in their time free from the vinyl cocoon... the foam for the seats had puffed back to its original uniform thickness. after some obsessive math and measuring, i finally cut the vinyl and then struggled for several minutes to hold the chair backing in place while adjusting the foam and fabric. flailing and stapling ensued and the only trick i found was to lean my weight on one edge of the chair seat backing so the foam would squish flat enough for me to stretch the fabric with one hand while stapling with the other... faster than it could all fly apart again into pieces.
needless to say there was much swearing. and then i left the whole project again for another two weeks when i painstakingly finished the table top. it isnt as taut as i would have liked but a 3 foot square piece of plywood is incredibly cumbersome.